About Me

Calgary, AB, Canada
I am a 24 year old student athlete racing for the UCI Continental H and R Block Pro Cycling Team. I am also working on attaining my degree in Kinesiology from the University of Calgary.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Pre Tour of Alberta Thoughts

It's been a while since I've thrown something up here but I can't think of a better time to share my experiences as I am about to pin my numbers for the 2015 Tour of Alberta. There are a few thoughts bouncing around my brain at the moment that I thought would make for a good share.

Racing in a race of this caliber can be a little intimidating. This was my thought process walking into breakfast this morning:

Firstly, you know when Floyd Mayweather is training for a big fight, he gets those guys to come in and train with him so that he basically has a moving punching bag to train with? Earlier today, I felt like that guy. In walks a black and green punching bag with shaved legs and tight pants. AKA me. Then I was like, wait a second, that guy who I've watched race on TV all year also eats fruit loops and cookies. We could potentially be best friends. The more I thought about it, the more things I realized we had in common. He rides his bike every day. I RIDE MY BIKE EVERY DAY. He has to to do laundry. I HAVE TO DO LAUNDRY. He probably craves weirder food then a women who is 8 months pregnant. I LOVE WEIRD FOOD. 



What makes those guys so special anyways? When you strip it all down, we are both here because we love riding bikes. Period. 

Secondly, this might be one of the coolest things I have done in my 25 years on earth. I've wanted to do this race for years now and I finally get to do it. Its comparable to the time I was 9 and my parents let me stay up till 10 on a thursday to watch Survivor. #REALDEAL. 



Thirdly (a little off topic I know but I feel as though it should be addressed), I feel like I am the kid that just transferred to a new school and have to make a great impression on everyone. I am petrified that I will do the equivalent of splitting my pants in two in front of the whole class. Im not sure what that would be on the bike... 

So, here we go. Here is to starting the coolest race I've ever done. To having fun racing the best guys in the world. To being the fastest punching bag I can be and to not splitting my shorts in front of everyone. Thanks for the cheers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment